I recently did The 21 Day Sugar Detox, which I highly recommend. During the entire 21 Day period, I slept like a rock, which in my normal life happens about 75% of the time. Every so often I wake up in the middle of the night and cannot fall back asleep. Eliminating all sugar from my diet reaffirmed my suspicion that my sleep issues have a lot to do with my sugar intake (which, by the way, is not high).
Since completing the detox, I’ve had a few sleepless nights. While I would always rather fall back asleep, sometimes I have some great ideas while I’m lying in bed listening to the synchronized snoring of my
dog and boyfriend boyfriend and dog.
This recipe is one of those insomnia-induced great ideas. I did not invent the KimChi deviled egg; a Google search confirmed that (damnit!). But until the idea popped into my head at 3am (and by the way I practically yelled it out loud), the thought of making KimChi spiked deviled eggs had never occurred to me.
makes 12 (easily doubled)
First, start by making perfect hard boiled eggs:
- Place the eggs in a medium sauce pan and cover with water.
- Turn the heat under the pan to high and bring the water to a boil.
- Once the water boils, set a timer for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, turn off the heat, cover, and set a timer for 5 more minutes.
- Drain the eggs, cool in several changes of cold water. Peel.
- Cut in half and remove the yolks.
- Once the eggs are cooled and peeled, add the kimchi and egg yolks to a food processor and pulse a few times until well incorporated.
- Add the mayo and puree a few seconds.
- Taste the filling, and add additional sea salt and/or hot sauce if needed.
- Using a pastry bag or 2 spoons, fill the cavities in the egg whites with the yolk filling and garnish with additional pieces of KimChi, if you’d like.
- Serve cold.